Years ago, before the nursery was a nursery, it was a blank.
Then I turned it into an office. We had plywood floors for years.
Finally we got around to flooring. We chose a warm cork* to offset the cold (well, not so cold with radiant floor heating) of the stone floors we have throughout the rest of the house.
The basalt tiles are 1/2″ thick, so we had to add 1/2″ thick sub floor to the rooms not tiled to avoid floor height variances. It was definitely not fun carrying 4′ x 8′ sheets up two flights of stairs. These suckers were HEAVY!
Laying down the cork is super easy; they just lock together. It took us one evening, including the intricate cuts Bryce had to make around the door molding.
Now we have gorgeous, warm cork for the foundation of the nursery!
*Lumber Liquidators no longer carries the exact style we purchased. I think ours was called Van Gogh.